Poppys

Poppys

Monday, April 25, 2016

When We Stop Being The Victim

We have all, at some point,
found ourselves as a victim of our circumstances.
This is a such a broad statement, yet very true.

Merriam-Webster defines the word victim as:

-a person who has been attacked, injured, robbed or 
killed by someone else.

-a person who is cheated or fooled by someone else.

-someone or something that is harmed by an unpleasant
event (such as an illness or accident).

My thoughts today aren't to dwell on all the times when we have 
both intentionally and unintentionally became a victim.
I believe these moments and seasons we have to walk this 
out in are HUGE growing pains in our lives.  
But, I also believe that so much fruit and revelation of our 
character and integrity is birthed at these times as well.

In December, our oldest son was diagnosed with 
high-functioning autism.
(He has also been diagnosed with dyspraxia.)
It's been a long time coming and I had actually convinced
myself that we were dealing with a totally different
developmental disorder.  So when the diagnosis came, I 
was a little surprised but not caught off guard.
This year has been very challenging for us with him.  And for the 
past month I have really been researching, praying and thinking,
:"What if we are wrong?!  What if Kaleb has been misdiagnosed?
What if it's this and not that?"
Well, truth be told, even if he was misdiagnosed, our plan of 
treatment that we have is what he would need either way.  
So that brought peace to my mind knowing that I wasn't doing
too little or too much for him right now.
So I've gone along with the way things are.  
Then a few days ago, I was able to sit down and talk to his 
occupational therapist about some concerns I had and his therapist
just broke everything down for me with how Kaleb's autism causes
this to happen and his dyspraxia causes this to happen---and at
the end of our meeting I was grateful for the time and information
but inside I was a mess.
The realization hit that my son HAS autism.

I came home and my husband could tell I was a little off and took
me aside so we could talk and it all came pouring out.
What if, what if, what it???
Insecurity flying this way.
Fear flying that way.
Heartbreak, worries, concerns around every corner.

In the middle of all of this I hear the Holy Spirit say,
"WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO STOP BEING THE VICTIM?"

What?!!!!
I'm not acting like a victim!!!

I don't know how true that is.
There are many times where I do feel like the victim of autism.
The meltdowns, the tantrums, the endless accounts of
being yelled at throughout the day, the frustration,
the lack of proper social awareness and hierarchy.
It's EXHAUSTING!!!!

And maybe I haven't been acting like a victim but I have been living 
with the mindset of a victim.
A very unhealthy, degrading mindset.
A mindset that doesn't speak into who I am and who He has 
created me to be but that constantly reminds me of everything
I am not.

How many times do we do this in life?
With so many different areas?

Living with a victim mindset is bondage.
You are a slave to your own thought pattern.
You leave no room for the God of Miracles to come in and 
renew and transform your mind!

Romans 8:5-6 says:
"For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on things of the 
flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace."

Here we see exactly what happens when we don't protect our minds.
We can have death or we can have life and peace.

We do not end up with this mindset overnight.
It slowly creeps in and we nurture it with all of our 
fears, doubts, concerns and worries until it consumes us.

There are many things we can do to overcome this.
Here are just a few:

*Let thanksgiving be your response when those nasty thought
patterns try to invade.
Take the fear, doubt, concern or worry and turn it into 
thanks back up towards Heaven to Our Father. 
Thank Him for the here and now, each and 
every little thing.

*Meditate.
Try taking a little bit of time each day to get back to 
your center-----JESUS!!!
Sit still, breathe slowly in and out,
and listen!
Be present in those moments-spirit, mind, soul 
and body.

*Pray and Fast.
Use this time to give up something dear to you and spend
more time in prayer. 
Allow God to come in and transform your mind, soul, and
spirit while you realign your focus on the Peace Giver,
the One who is our Shelter from the storm during these
trying times.

Once we realize the root of what's been causing us to think the way
we do, we have all authority to put that under our feet!
We have all power to make the change and declare no more!!
It took time getting there so it may take a little time to get your
mind to align with your spirit; 
but He is so faithful and freedom is right before you!!
Trust Him!
Lean on Him!!
Amen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment